St. Valentine's Love
Feast of Saint Valentine
A quick quiz: St. Valentine was:
- a) a priest in the Roman Empire who helped persecuted Christians during the reign of Claudius II, was thrown in jail and later beheaded on Feb. 14.
- b) a Catholic bishop of Terni who was beheaded, also during the reign of Claudius II.
- c) someone who secretly married couples when marriage was forbidden, or suffered in Africa, or wrote letters to his jailer's daughter, and was probably beheaded.
- d) all, some, or possibly none of the above.
If you guessed d), give yourself a box of chocolates. Although the mid-February holiday celebrating love and lovers remains wildly popular, the confusion over its origins led the Catholic Church, in 1969, to drop St. Valentine's Day from the Roman calendar of official, worldwide Catholic feasts. (Those highly sought-after days are reserved for saints with more clear historical record. After all, the saints are real individuals for us to imitate.) Some parishes, however, observe the feast of St. Valentine.
- Do I see God’s goodness in other people, especially those people I don’t like or who seem weird?
- Do I use God’s goodness in me every day, in some way?
- Can I help others find God’s goodness within themselves?
- Can I look at myself in the mirror and smile at the goodness I see?
- To love myself as Jesus would love me, I will ….